Thursday, February 17, 2011

The trials and tribulations of Pilgrim

While Pilgrim's leg looks gross on the outside, it was actually much better today. His movement was sound, no heat and no swelling. I decided to take him for a spin. He was really good at the beginning. He held his frame the whole time we rode and even through his transitions, but during the second half of our ride he started bracing on the bit and getting really stiff. I spent the rest of the ride trying to get him to soften and relax again. I talked to Heather about it after the ride. I'm not sure what is causing it, soreness, resistance, him just being a jerk, or something I'm doing. Heather decided she's going to ride him tomorrow and see what's going on inside a Pilgrim brain. I feel much better and am excited to see what he does for her. Hopefully she can help me come up with a game plan to work through it. I feel like he's come such a long way, but I know that we have a lot more work to do!

Despite the struggles with Pilgrim, it felt great to ride him in the beautiful weather. Warm and sunny, almost 70 degrees out. You couldn't ask for any better. I'm crossing my fingers we can keep this weather for awhile. With the great weather I couldn't help but take all my afternoon lessons out for a trail ride. They all enjoyed it and the horses seemed to really like the time out! After lessons I had to rush Dwight to Karate. Chuck had a late meeting with a non-profit group that I accidentally encouraged him to be on the board of....they put him on 3, and wouldn't be back in time. This is always an adventure as I have to go straight from the farm and dressed in breeches, boots, half chaps, and a horse hair and hay mixture spread all over me. I usually get several curious looks and some outright stares. Now after checking homework, helping with spelling words and getting the kids off to bed, I'm wiped. Time for shower and then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment